My favorite television show is Power Rangers. Yes, I'm talking about those superheroes in spandex that battle monsters with cool weapons and giant robots. The show premiered in 1993, so I've literally grew up with it. I must admit that there have been periods of time where I haven't really cared to watch Power Rangers, but thanks to YouTube and Netflix, I've been able to rejuvenate my love for the show.
Power Rangers is obviously unrealistic. People can't morph into superheroes and pilot giant robots that destroy overgrown monsters (and half the city). A magical wizard who's head is forever imprisoned in a blue tube cannot choose five overly-friendly and charity-obsessed teenagers to fight an evil witch trying to take over the world. Heck, we don't even know if aliens exist or not, so the whole basic logic of Power Rangers is forever in question.
However, if you search through all of the ridiculousness, you can find some really great morals. The Power Rangers are avid supporters of teamwork. Every member on the team has a specific purpose, and when they all work together, the Rangers are unstoppable. They also vow to never give up their goals, no matter how daunting the road ahead looks. Even in the face of destruction, the Rangers never surrender to the forces of evil. Instead, they keep fighting 'til the bitter end, and then they always pull through to victory.
I feel like I'd be better off adopting these views for my own life. Instead of being a lone wolf, I need to realize that it can be beneficial to work with others. I also find myself giving up quite easily when it comes to studying for an exam or trying to find motivation to write a story. If I vow to keep trying and never give up, I will never have to wonder "What if?".
I think my only real gripe with the show is its portrayal of evil. Almost none of the villains have any real motivation for their actions; they Rangers simply say that they're evil and need to be stopped. It doesn't really help that the Rangers are perfect people who only do bad things when they're under an evil spell. The show fails to teach kids that nobody is truly good or truly bad since we're all flawed.
The show relies on its likable actors and fighting sequences to keep things interesting. With good writing and acting, the Rangers can feel like real people with real issues despite having godly powers. They can serve as role-models for kids, teaching them how to deal with issues such as cheating on tests in school, using martial arts for self-defense only, and how to be a good friend to others. As for the fighting scenes, the Rangers rarely fight humans. If they do, those humans are usually under an evil spell or criminals.
With its flashy spandex and cool robots, the Power Rangers are able to trick the audience into thinking that everything on the show could actually happen. Although that would be really awesome, it unfortunately will not happen (at least for the foreseeable future). So until then, I'll just have to stick with the show.
Phil -- this is well done and nicely thought-out. Your impression and understanding of the show changed as you grew up...but you can still enjoy it.
ReplyDelete